Five - Our Learning
Hello and welcome to Grade 5!
The teachers are very excited to work closely with our 2021 Grade 5's. We are in for a wonderful Term 1 with lots of exciting events on the agenda, including our Grade 5/6 camp!
In Reading this term, Grade 5 students will:
- read a variety of fiction and non-fiction books about space (including narratives, information reports, news articles, biographies)
- develop and use a variety of comprehension strategies to improve their understanding of what they have read
- explore the text structure and language features of different texts
- continue to discover new and exciting vocab related to the genres they are reading.
- Scholastic Learning Zone (Lexile reading) will start again with all students expected to read at least 3 books
In Writing, Grade 5 students will:
- explore the science fiction narrative genre
- build their vocabulary through a variety of learning experiences and vocab games
- write their own science fiction story and information texts
- publish their writing and share it with their classmates.
In Mathematics, Grade 5 students will:
- build on their understanding of place value
- experience a variety of strategies to use when solving problems
- play a variety of maths games which develop their fluency and understanding
- explore and develop their understanding of decimal numbers
- continue to expand their knowledge of time.
In Inquiry, Grade 5 students will investigate the topic of Health. Students will explore and begin to discover how the following questions can impact their lives:
- how do our choices affect our lives?
- how do people's lifestyles affect their health?
- how can goal setting improve my health?
- they will have the opportunity to share their learning with their classmates in a variety of ways, for example, SWAY, powerpoint, story creator, flipgrid
- Students must bring and wear their hats each day
- Lexile reading will start in week 3, borrowing on Tuesdays, Thursdays or before school
- Meet the Teacher will be held on the 17th and 18th of February from 3:30pm
- Please complete book pack order online order form as soon as possible
- Grade 5/6 camp will run from the 24th - 26th of March, more information will be sent out to families via the Sentral App.
We are looking forward to an exciting beginning to the school year.
The Grade 5 team,
Bianca Larubina, Lisa Edwards-Loach and Tan Ly.